Friday, March 4, 2011

Combating Mental Drool

I find a most disturbing trend where my brain, being very very full these days, has decided to deal with overstuffed-ness by grinding to a squishy near-halt.  I commented yesterday that it's the equivalent to your mouth hanging open slightly and drool coming out, except mentally; not sleepy, but mentally tired from a lot of things just on my mind.  I think it's not uncommon a reaction of the human mind; too much ot think about it? Fine, I just won't think about anything at all!

It's a nasty mental drool spiral; the less able I am to deal with things, the less brain i have to think about them as they pile up!  I was trying (squish squish, goes the brain) to think of a way to get out of the slump when my friend Astrid came up with what I think will be a great solution.

"Doris...you need to come up with a reward system."

SELF-BRIBERY!!  Is this the key?  (Also, brilliant.  It works for kids.  Will it work for a big kid?)  So that very evening I ran out to Daiso to get a little whiteboard so I could combine a reward system with one of my favorite things, lists!  Different prizes of various denominations matched with tasks that seem daunting right now.  I don't get prizes for normal work things, just for things that weigh upon my mind that I really should get that done, you know.  It's hanging right by my work desk as a visual reminder.  I'll let you know if it works!


No comments:

Post a Comment