Thursday, May 10, 2012

Farmer McDoris

Greetings from the garden! It's that time of year when all those seeds and little sprouts that looked so unhopeful and small weeks ago are starting to come into their own. My previous garden posts were about the boxes I made for trees, but today's garden vegetable plot actually came into existence shortly before those boxes were made.

Last winter I saw a Frame-it-All kit at Home Depot on sale (about $100 on the off season) and I just had to get it.  It comes with plastic brackets and  composite timbers that allow you to build a modular garden.  I went for a 4' x 8' plot.  The particular kit is meant to do a 2-level plot but I wanted to just go ahead and make everything 12" tall, so I had to get 2 extra pieces of 2"x6" redwood cut to 4 foot lengths to make up for it.  The plastic brackets make this thing super easy to construct, you just need a drill to attach the pieces and it just stacks together!

After that I did lay a piece of landscaping fabric down although I don't know that it was necessary.  I threw in a couple inches of bark nuggets to help with the drainage (since this will sit forever on concrete,  I don't want it to be sopping wet 24/7, though I think having it be damp when I water it is OK), and then hauled bag after bag after bag into it.  THAT took a couple of weekends because I would only want to buy/haul a few at a time!  I mixed all kinds of brands of dirt, compost, and some pearlite, figuring the type of dirt will all average out in the end.

After that I put in some seeds and seedlings and now 3 months later I have a ton of lettuce, chard, radishes (wait. there IS a slight problem where I don't actually eat nearly enough leafy greens), my tomatoes are starting to fruit and I have some green bean plants and peppers getting more optimistic looking.  I would like to put in a drip watering system for this bed, but the size of the plot, mulch,  and the shade from the leaves means it doesn't dry out TOO fast.  I still have to water it daily on very hot days, but last year I had plants wilt from heat if I didn't get to give them some water twice a day.  This is doing all right and if it gets too hot I can set up a little open shade to cool it down.

Next step: make myself eat tons and tons of leafy greens!!

No comments:

Post a Comment