Sunday, April 22, 2012

Space Cat Mural

A few weeks ago a girl I knew from high school contacted me about doing a mural for a children's clinic, Valley Medical Center.  Her service organization was arranging to have volunteers come paint murals in the exam rooms, to make them more cheerful for the kids coming through.  I've never actually painted a mural before - I mean, I've painted my house walls a single, flat color, and a long time ago I did some paintings on bigger canvases for school.  Since them though it's mostly been just a few watercolors here and there.  I was a little bit intimidated at the thought of designing a whole mural, but I guess this was the perfect opportunity to go big or go home.  And, when faced with an army of volunteers to lead, random paint, and brushes there really is nothing to but just to go at it.

Of course, this was another opportunity to have Space Cat appear.  (And other animals that kids would normally have as pets.  Gotta say the kitties are the easiest to draw.)  I am always a sucker for retro-futurism and cute animals. After doing this, I really think I need to write a story or two about my little Space Cat and his adventures!

Here's what the mural looked like in the end; one shorter wall panel and one long one. It's a bit cropped down but amazingly, taking 3 shots with my iphone (too lazy right now to take it off the memory card of my other camera) and photomerged in Photoshop worked quite well for a panorama!




2 comments:

  1. i want to draw pop tarts and rainbows all over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is listed as "unknown" for the comment but I have a pretty good guess who wants to draw pop tarts and rainbows over space animals!

      Delete